HOPE alliance of missouri
"Helping people overcome obstacles."
Friday Backpack Program
Wyman Elementary 2007 (testimony from School Nurse):
1. Two students have stopped complaining of stomachaches and their asthma has lessened.
2. One student's skin condition improved.
3. One student who needed to gain weight, did (29 lbs.)
4. One girl complained less this year of aches and has gained weight (17 lbs)
5. A child was ill on a Friday, butаhis family still made sure to pick up his backpack.
6. One mother made a comment that this was the nicest thing anyone had ever done for her family.
7. A child made the comment that he could hardly wait until Friday so he could get his backpack.
8. A kindergartner forgot his backpack and climbed over children on the bus to get his bag. He didn't care that the bus was going to leave without him (it didn't).
9. A student reported that he usually has bread for dinner.
Truman Elementary 2008:
1. "My mom is going to be so happy! We just ran out of food stamps!"
2. "I get my backpack today!"
3. "Is it Friday yet? I get my backpack on Friday!" (It was only Wednesday)